CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Foundations
Enhance your SIOP Model knowledge to support delivery of effective professional development workshops at your school.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as facilitators in your school or district.
The Foundations institute is designed for those with a basic working knowledge of the SIOP Model through some past SIOP Model workshop attendance, self-study, or classroom implementation. Participants will review the components of the SIOP Model and acquire knowledge and skills to help PreK-12 teachers better integrate content and language instruction for English learners as PD facilitators.
Based on an interactive flipped classroom model, this summer 2020 cohort will participate in both synchronous and asynchronous online learning. Through a self-paced format, participants will listen to recorded mini-lectures, read relevant research articles, watch classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their PD plans, and interact with other participants through discussion boards and blog posts. Twice a week, participants will meet with CAL facilitators to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand for those who:
- Have some experience with the SIOP Model, but would like a review of the eight components
- May have attended a SIOP workshop in the past, but would like to prepare to teach others about the SIOP Model
- Are interested in beginning to develop the skills of a SIOP facilitator
- Are available between July 6 and 24, 2020 to complete a weekly minimum of 5 hours of self-paced online assignments (to include watching videos, reading articles, listening to mini-workshops, etc.).
- Are able to join remote/teleconference sessions on the days and times listed below.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can bring to your school or district.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
- Between July 6 and July 24th, participants will be expected to complete various assignments and prepare a PD plan by July 23, 2020 to share with the cohort of participants
July 7, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- Introductions and overview
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development workshops
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for second language acquisition, SIOP Model overview and research, and the Lesson Preparation component
- Adult learning theory
July 9, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Building Background, Comprehensible Input
- Best practices in virtual learning and PD
July 14, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Strategies and Interaction
- Characteristics of participants and differentiation
July 16, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Practice/Application, Lesson Delivery, and Review & Assessment
TBD, week of July 20th
- Individual and small-group planning and coaching sessions for PD plans
July 23, 2020, 1-4pm EST
- PD presentations and peer review
- Self-paced content approximately 5 hours per week between July 6 and July 24th, 2020
- 2-hour mini-workshop sessions, from 1-3pm EST, on July 7, 9, 14 & 16, 2020
- One 2-hour small group planning and coaching session, time TBD, week of July 20th
- Culmination 3-hour session on July 23th
Early bird registration by June 1, 2020: $1,300/person.
After June 1, 2020: $1,500/person.
Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
Cost includes the following materials:
- 1 binder, Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction
- 1 video, Learning the SIOP with Viewer’s Guide
- 1 video, Demonstrating Comprehensible Input: Mandarin Lesson and trainer’s materials
- Trainer’s PPT and handout packet
For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to June 20, 2020.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platform.
Graduate Credit Option
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 28 hours which may be used for continuing education credit.
To reserve your seat for this institute, please complete the online registration process. Please be aware that your seat at the workshop will only be confirmed once payment is received. If you are registering multiple participants, please have the name, title, school, and email addresses available before you begin the registration process. We encourage you to register as soon as possible as many workshops fill up quickly.
Before beginning the registration process, please determine your preferred method of payment (credit card, check, or purchase order). When paying by credit card using the online registration system, your seat will be immediately confirmed and you will receive a confirmation email upon successful completion of the transaction. CAL accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA. For registrations to be paid by purchase order or check, please note that your seat will be tentatively reserved until payment is received. Once the payment is received, you will receive a confirmation email. There will be a fee of $15.00 for each check returned as uncollectible. Purchase orders should be uploaded directly to the registration system or emailed to email@example.com. For payment by check, or to pay for purchase orders, please make the check payable to the Center for Applied Linguistics and mail to: Accounts Receivable, Center for Applied Linguistics, 4646 40th Street NW, Washington, DC 20016.
Registrants: We encourage participants to let CAL know as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend the session. Participants may cancel their registration and receive a full refund up to three (3) weeks prior to the institute start date by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. After that date, no refunds will be available. However, registrants may choose to receive the institute materials by mail, postpone their attendance to a future CAL Institute, or transfer the registration to another individual up to three (3) days prior to the course start date. Contact us to discuss your options.
CAL: CAL reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or for reasons beyond our control. If we exercise this right, we will refund any registration fees which you have paid in advance. In some instances, registrants may have the option to transfer their registration to the another event. CAL is not responsible for transportation and/or hotel costs incurred by registrant.
Fair Use of Materials
Individuals who have completed CAL trainings and workshops have permission from CAL to use materials in the course of providing professional development to educators in their school or school districts. These materials cannot be used to deliver fee-based services. Email CAL if you have questions about the use of CAL materials.