CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Advanced Coaching Strategies
Learn effective strategies for providing job-embedded support for teachers implementing the SIOP Model in your schools.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as coaches or other instructional leadership roles.
The Advanced institute is designed for those participants who have prior knowledge of SIOP and are supporting teachers in their implementation of the model. In this institute, participants will review and renew the specific components and features in order to deepen their knowledge of the SIOP Model. Participants will also extend their own professional skills in supporting teachers’ SIOP implementation through providing job embedded professional development such as coaching, supporting lesson planning in grade level or professional learning communities, and lesson study.
Based on an interactive flipped classroom model, this summer 2020 cohort will participate in both synchronous and asynchronous online learning. Through a self-paced format, participants will listen to recorded mini-lectures, read relevant research articles, watch and “coach” classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their coaching plans, and interact with other participants through discussion boards and blog posts. Twice a week, participants will meet online with CAL facilitators to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand of professional development for those who:
- Have attended a full introductory SIOP workshop and have a strong knowledge base of the SIOP Model
- Have implemented the SIOP Model in their classrooms and/or have a lot of experience supporting teachers who implement the SIOP Model
- Have attended SIOP TOT I: Foundations.
- Are able to identify examples of SIOP implementation, but need more assistance in helping teachers implement with fidelity.
- Are available between July 20 and August 7, 2020 to complete a weekly minimum of 5 hours of self-paced assignments (to include watching videos, reading articles, participating in mini-workshops, etc.).
- Are able to join remote/teleconference sessions on the days and times listed below.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can deliver in your schools. Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
- Between July 20 and August 7th, participants will be expected to complete various assignments and prepare a PD plan by August 5, 2020 to share with the cohort of participants.
July 20, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development and implementation support
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on second language acquisition and supporting content and language objectives in the Lesson Preparation Component
July 22, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on the Building Background component
- Special considerations when coaching with the SIOP Model
- Planning for virtual implementation support
July 27, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Strategies and Interaction components
- Supporting the lesson planning process using the SIOP Model
- Co-teaching and collaboration through the through the development and support of PLCs
- Developing a school/ district SIOP implementation plan
July 29, 2020, 1-3pm EST
- Special considerations for working with adult learners
- SIOP lesson study
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Lesson Delivery and Review & Assessment components
TBD, week of August 3, 2020
- Individual and small-group coaching sessions for coaching PD plans
August 5, 2020, 1-4pm EST
- PD coaching presentations and peer review
- Self-paced online content, approximately 5 hours per week between July 20 and August 7, 2020
- 2-hour mini-workshop sessions, from 1-3pm EST, on July 20, 22, 27, and 29, 2020
- One 2-hour small group planning and coaching session, time TBD, week of August 3rd, 2020
- Culminating 3-hour session on August 5, 2020
Early bird pricing prior to June 1, 2020: $1,300 per person
Individual price after June 1, 2020: $1,500/person.
Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
Materials include Insider's Guide to SIOP Coaching, SIOP in Action DVD packet, trainer's PowerPoint, and hand-outs. For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to June 20, 2020.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platform.
Graduate Credit Option
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 28 hours which may be used for continuing education credit.
To reserve your seat for this institute, please complete the online registration process. Please be aware that your seat at the workshop will only be confirmed once payment is received. If you are registering multiple participants, please have the name, title, school, and email addresses available before you begin the registration process. We encourage you to register as soon as possible as many workshops fill up quickly.
Before beginning the registration process, please determine your preferred method of payment (credit card, check, or purchase order). When paying by credit card using the online registration system, your seat will be immediately confirmed and you will receive a confirmation email upon successful completion of the transaction. CAL accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA. For registrations to be paid by purchase order or check, please note that your seat will be tentatively reserved until payment is received. Once the payment is received, you will receive a confirmation email. There will be a fee of $15.00 for each check returned as uncollectible. Purchase orders should be uploaded directly to the registration system or emailed to email@example.com. For payment by check, or to pay for purchase orders, please make the check payable to the Center for Applied Linguistics and mail to: Accounts Receivable, Center for Applied Linguistics, 4646 40th Street NW, Washington, DC 20016.
Registrants: We encourage participants to let CAL know as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend the session. Participants may cancel their registration and receive a full refund up to three (3) weeks prior to the institute start date by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. After that date, no refunds will be available. However, registrants may choose to receive the institute materials by mail, postpone their attendance to a future CAL Institute, or transfer the registration to another individual up to three (3) days prior to the course start date. Contact us to discuss your options.
CAL: CAL reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or for reasons beyond our control. If we exercise this right, we will refund any registration fees which you have paid in advance. In some instances, registrants may have the option to transfer their registration to the another event. CAL is not responsible for transportation and/or hotel costs incurred by registrant.
Fair Use of Materials
Individuals who have completed CAL trainings and workshops have permission from CAL to use materials in the course of providing professional development to educators in their school or school districts. These materials cannot be used to deliver fee-based services. Email CAL if you have questions about the use of CAL materials.