CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Advanced Coaching Strategies
Learn effective strategies for providing job-embedded support for teachers implementing the SIOP Model in your schools.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as coaches or other instructional leadership roles.
The Advanced institute is designed for those who are supporting teachers with a knowledge of the SIOP Model. In this institute, participants will review and renew specific features of the SIOP Model in order to deepen their knowledge of the SIOP Model. They will also extend their own professional skills in supporting teachers’ SIOP implementation through providing job embedded professional development such as SIOP coaching, supporting lesson planning in grade level or professional learning communities, and lesson study.
This is the right strand for those who:
- Have attended at least a four day introductory SIOP workshop and have a strong knowledge base of the SIOP Model
- Have implemented the SIOP Model in their classrooms and/or have a lot of experience supporting teachers who implement the SIOP Model
- Have attended SIOP TOT I: Foundations.
- Are able to identify examples of SIOP implementation but need more assistance in helping teachers implement with fidelity.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can deliver in your schools.
About CAL SIOP Institutes
SIOP Training of Trainers (TOT) institutes are designed for district professional developers, district and school-based coaches, administrators, and teacher leaders who have substantial experience with the SIOP Model and who support teacher instruction. Participants need to be well familiar with the SIOP Model.
Modeled after SIOP workshops, SIOP TOT institutes include a variety of activities, such as demonstration and explanation, analysis of video teaching sequences, and small group tasks.
Choosing the SIOP Training that Works for You
To meet the needs of all participants, there are two different strands of the SIOP TOT institute. This web page focuses on Advanced Strategies. Click here to learn more and read the description for the Foundations Institute for those directly delivering the SIOP Model as a professional development workshop. If you need help determining which strand is best for you, please contact us.
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion which may be used for continuing education credit.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
- Between October 16th and November 20th, participants will be expected to complete approximately 2 hours of self-paced content per week and prepare a PD plan by November 20th, 2020 to share with the cohort of participants.
October 16th, 2020, 10-12:30pm EST
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development and implementation support
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on second language acquisition and supporting content and language objectives in the Lesson Preparation Component
October 23, 2020, 10-12:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on the Building Background component
- Special considerations when coaching with the SIOP Model
- Planning for virtual implementation support
October 30, 2020, 10-12:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Strategies and Interaction components
- Supporting the lesson planning process using the SIOP Model
- Co-teaching and collaboration through the through the development and support of PLCs
- Developing a school/ district SIOP implementation plan
November 6, 2020, 10-12:30pm EST
- Special considerations for working with adult learners
- SIOP lesson study
- SIOP Model review and renew designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Lesson Delivery and Review & Assessment components
November 13, 2020, 10-12:30pm EST
- Individual and small-group coaching sessions for coaching PD plans
November 20, 2020, 10-12:30pm EST
- PD coaching presentations and peer review
- Self-paced online content, approximately 2 hours per week between October 16 and November 20, 2020
- 2.5-hour mini-workshop sessions, from 10-12:30pm EST, on October 16th, 23rd, 30th; November 6th, 13th and 20th, 2020
Early bird pricing prior to September 18, 2020: $1,300 per person
Individual price after September 18, 2020: $1,500/person.
Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
Materials include Insider's Guide to SIOP Coaching, SIOP in Action DVD packet, trainer's PowerPoint, and hand-outs. For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to September 18, 2020.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platform.
Graduate Credit Option
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.