CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Foundations
Enhance your SIOP Model knowledge to support delivery of effective professional development workshops at your school.
Design | Agenda | Schedule | Cost | Graduate Credit | Certificate
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as facilitators in your school or district.
The Foundations institute is designed for those with a basic working knowledge of the SIOP Model through some past SIOP Model workshop attendance, self-study, or classroom implementation. Participants will review the components of the SIOP Model and acquire knowledge and skills to help PreK-12 teachers better integrate content and language instruction for English learners as PD facilitators.
Based on an interactive flipped classroom model, this summer 2021 cohort will participate in both synchronous and asynchronous online learning. Through a self-paced format, participants will listen to recorded mini-lectures, read relevant research articles, watch classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their PD plans, and interact with other participants through discussion boards and blog posts. Participants will meet with CAL facilitators weekly to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand for those who:
- Have some experience with the SIOP Model, but would like a review of the eight components
- May have attended a SIOP workshop in the past, but would like to prepare to teach others about the SIOP Model
- Are interested in beginning to develop the skills of a SIOP facilitator
- Are available between June 24th and July 23rd, 2021 to complete approximately 2 hours of self-paced online assignments per week (to include watching videos, reading articles, listening to mini-lectures on SIOP components, and planning for their own PD sessions, etc.).
- Are able to join remote/teleconference sessions on the days and times listed below.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can bring to your school or district.
- Between June 14th and July 23rd, 2021, participants will be expected to complete approximately 6 hours of various assignments and prepare a PD plan by July 23rd to share with the cohort of participants
June 24th, 2021, 3:30-4:30pm EST
- Introductions and cohort launch
- Overview of asynchronous content
July 12th, 2021, 10am-1pm and 2:30-4pm EST
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development workshops
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for second language acquisition, SIOP Model overview and research, and the Lesson Preparation component
- Adult learning theory
- PD Planning Time
July 14, 2021, 10am-1pm and 2:30-4pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Building Background, Comprehensible Input
- Best practices in virtual learning and PD
- PD Planning Time
July 19, 2021, 10am-1pm and 2:30-4pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Strategies and Interaction
- Characteristics of participants and differentiation
- PD Planning Time
July 21, 2021, 10am-1pm and 2:30-4pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Practice/Application, Lesson Delivery, and Review & Assessment
- PD Planning Time
July 23, 2021, 10am-1pm EST
- PD presentations and peer review
- One-hour SIOP TOT Cohort Launch on June 24, 2021
- Self-paced content approximately 2 hours per week between June 24th and July 23rd, 2021
- Four 4.5-hour mini-workshop sessions, from 10-1pm and 2:30-4pm EST, on July 12, 14, 19, 21, 2021
- One 3-hour SIOP Showcase session on July 23rd with peer presentations
Early bird pricing prior to June 11, 2021: $1,300 per person
Individual price after June 11, 2021: $1,500/person.
Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
Cost includes the following materials:
- 1 binder, Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction
- 1 video, Learning the SIOP with Viewer’s Guide
- 1 video, Demonstrating Comprehensible Input: Mandarin Lesson and trainer’s materials
- Trainer’s PPT and handout packet
- Links to digital SIOP activities
For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to June 11, 2021. Videos will be available electronically.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platform.
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.
Participants will receive a CAL Certificate of Completion for 28 hours which may be used for continuing education credit.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
To reserve your seat for this institute, please complete the online registration process. Please be aware that your seat at the workshop will only be confirmed once payment is received. If you are registering multiple participants, please have the name, title, school, and email addresses available before you begin the registration process. We encourage you to register as soon as possible as many workshops fill up quickly.
Before beginning the registration process, please determine your preferred method of payment (credit card, check, or purchase order). When paying by credit card using the online registration system, your seat will be immediately confirmed and you will receive a confirmation email upon successful completion of the transaction. CAL accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA. For registrations to be paid by purchase order or check, please note that your seat will be tentatively reserved until payment is received. Once the payment is received, you will receive a confirmation email. There will be a fee of $15.00 for each check returned as uncollectible. Purchase orders should be uploaded directly to the registration system or emailed to email@example.com. For payment by check, or to pay for purchase orders, please make the check payable to the Center for Applied Linguistics and mail to: Accounts Receivable, Center for Applied Linguistics, 4646 40th Street NW, Washington, DC 20016.
Registrants: We encourage participants to let CAL know as soon as possible if you do not plan to attend the session. Participants may cancel their registration and receive a full refund up to three (3) weeks prior to the institute start date by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. After that date, no refunds will be available. However, registrants may choose to receive the institute materials by mail, postpone their attendance to a future CAL Institute, or transfer the registration to another individual up to three (3) days prior to the course start date. Contact us to discuss your options.
CAL: CAL reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or for reasons beyond our control. If we exercise this right, we will refund any registration fees which you have paid in advance. In some instances, registrants may have the option to transfer their registration to the another event. CAL is not responsible for transportation and/or hotel costs incurred by registrant.
Fair Use of Materials
Individuals who have completed CAL trainings and workshops have permission from CAL to use materials in the course of providing professional development to educators in their school or school districts. These materials cannot be used to deliver fee-based services. Email CAL if you have questions about the use of CAL materials.
COVID-19 Contingencies Language for Additional to Professional Development (PD) Contracts
CAL’s travel policy states that there will no business travel through December 31, 2020. This policy will be reviewed for the 2021 calendar year with a decision by October 1, 2020. In the event of school closures, travel restrictions and/or a high incidence of COVID-19, the district/school will make every attempt to reschedule the equivalent hours of hours of PD in a combination of synchronous and asynchronous online sessions on dates/times that are mutually agreeable. CAL attests that the PD content will be the equivalent to the face-to-face sessions and also align to best practices for virtual instruction.
In the event that the PD cannot be rescheduled to a virtual delivery model, CAL’s cancellation policy applies.