CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Foundations
Enhance your SIOP Model knowledge to support delivery of effective professional development workshops at your school.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as facilitators in your school or district.
The Foundations institute is designed for those with a basic working knowledge of the SIOP Model through some past SIOP Model workshop attendance, self-study, or classroom implementation. Participants will review the SIOP Model and acquire knowledge and skills to help PreK-12 teachers better integrate content and language instruction for English learners.
This is the right strand for those who:
- Have some experience with the SIOP Model, but would like a review of the eight components
- May have attended a SIOP workshop in the past, but would like to prepare to teach others about the SIOP Model
- Are interested in beginning to develop the skills of a SIOP facilitator
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can bring to your school or district.
About CAL SIOP Institutes
SIOP Training of Trainers (TOT) institutes are designed for district professional developers, district and school-based coaches, administrators, and teacher leaders who have some experience with the SIOP Model and who support teacher instruction. Participants need to be familiar with the SIOP Model.
Modeled after SIOP workshops, SIOP TOT institutes include a variety of activities, such as demonstration and explanation, analysis of video teaching sequences, and small group tasks.
Choosing the SIOP Training that Works for You
To meet the needs of all participants, there are two different strands of the SIOP TOT institute. This web page focuses on Foundations for those who are looking to facilitate the SIOP Model as a professional development workshop. Click here to learn more and read the description for the SIOP TOT Advanced Coaching Strategies Institute, which is for those who will be helping teachers to implement the SIOP Model in their classrooms as coaches. If you need help determining which strand is best for you, please contact us.
Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
- Between October 14th and November 18th, participants will be expected to complete various assignments and prepare a PD plan by November 18th, 2020 to share with the cohort of participants
October 14th, 2020, 1-3:30pm EST
- Introductions and overview
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development workshops
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for second language acquisition, SIOP Model overview and research, and the Lesson Preparation component
- Adult learning theory
October 21, 2020, 1-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Building Background, Comprehensible Input
- Best practices in virtual learning and PD
October 28, 2020, 1-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Strategies and Interaction
- Characteristics of participants and differentiation
November 4, 2020, 1-3:30pm EST
- SIOP Model review with modeling of workshop activities for the components of Practice/Application, Lesson Delivery, and Review & Assessment
November 11, 2020, 1-3:30pm EST
- Individual and small-group planning and coaching sessions for PD plans
November 18, 2020, 1-3:30pm EST
- PD presentations and peer review
- Self-paced content approximately 2 hours per week between October 14th and November 18th, 2020
- 2.5-hour mini-workshop sessions, from 1-3:30pm EST, on October 14th, 21st and 28th; November 4th, 11th, and 18th, 2020
Early bird pricing prior to September 18, 2020: $1,300 per person
Individual price after September 18, 2020: $1,500/person.
Send 2 people or more and pay $1,300 each.
Cost includes the following materials:
- 1 binder, Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction
- 1 video, Learning the SIOP with Viewer’s Guide
- 1 video, Demonstrating Comprehensible Input: Mandarin Lesson and trainer’s materials
- Trainer’s PPT and handout packet
- Links to digital SIOP activities
For timely shipment of physical publications, please register prior to September 18, 2020. Videos will be available electronically.
This Institute will be held online through a combination of interactive online web conferences and through self-paced assignments to be completed in CAL’s online learning platform.
Graduate Credit Option
An option for two graduate credits from Trinity Washington University is available for this CAL Institute. The cost is $495. Participants must attend all workshop days and complete an assignment to be distributed during the institute. If you have questions about requirements and registration for the CAL Institute graduate credits, please contact CAL Solutions.