CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Institute: Advanced Coaching Strategies (In-Person Institute)
July 15 - July 18
July 15, 16, 17, and 18, 2024 | Attend this engaging in-person institute to learn effective strategies for providing job-embedded support for teachers implementing the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Model in your schools.
This comprehensive and interactive institute is designed to help participants develop and deliver SIOP Model professional development as coaches or other instructional leadership roles.
The Advanced Strategies Institute is designed for those participants who have prior knowledge of the SIOP Model and are supporting teachers in their implementation. In this institute, participants will review and renew specific components and features to deepen their knowledge of the SIOP Model. Participants will also extend their own professional skills in supporting teachers’ application of the model by exploring the implementation of job-embedded professional development practices such as coaching, guided lesson planning by content area/grade level, development of professional learning communities, and lesson study.
Participants will attend four 5.5-hour face-to-face sessions and complete activities that supplement the presentations. They will read relevant research articles, watch and “coach” classroom videos of SIOP lessons, apply what they learn to their coaching plans, and interact with other participants through discussions and activity participation. Participants will have the opportunity to meet with CAL facilitators daily to discuss best practices in SIOP professional development, network with other PD facilitators from schools around the world, and receive small group coaching from a CAL PD coach.
This is the right strand of professional development for those who:
- Have attended a full introductory SIOP workshop and have a strong knowledge base of the SIOP Model
- Have implemented the SIOP Model in their classrooms and/or have a lot of experience supporting teachers who implement the SIOP Model
- Have attended the CAL SIOP Training of Trainers Foundations Institute or similar school/district-based training.
- Can identify examples of SIOP implementation, but need more assistance in helping teachers implement with fidelity.
- Are available between July 15–18, 2024, to attend in-person workshop sessions.
Please note: this institute is not intended for those who are learning SIOP for the first time. Contact CAL about SIOP introductory workshops that we can deliver in your schools. Questions? Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.
Schedule and Agenda
July 15, 2024: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:30–3:30 p.m. EST
- Key characteristics and elements of effective SIOP Model professional development and implementation support
- SIOP Model review and renewal designed to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on second language acquisition and supporting content and language objectives in the Lesson Preparation Component
- PD Planning
July 16, 2024: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:30–3:30 p.m. EST
- SIOP Model review and renewal to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on the Building Background component
- Special considerations when coaching with the SIOP Model
- Planning for implementation support
- PD Planning
July 17, 2024: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:30–3:30 p.m. EST
- SIOP Model review and renewal to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Strategies and Interaction components
- Supporting the lesson planning process using the SIOP Model
- Co-teaching and collaboration through the development and support of PLCs
- Developing a school/ district SIOP implementation plan
- PD Planning
July 18, 2024: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:30–3:30 p.m. EST
- Special considerations for working with adult learners
- SIOP lesson study
- SIOP Model review and renewal to deepen knowledge and implementation with a focus on specific features of the Lesson Delivery and Review & Assessment components
- PD Planning
- Early bird pricing before June 15, 2024: $1,325 per person
- Standard pricing after June 15, 2024: $1,525/person.
- Special pricing for two or more people: $1,325 each.
- Space is limited; register early.
- Note: Lodging and travel arrangements are not included in the registration cost.
Cost includes the following materials and amenities:
- One guide, An Insider’s Guide to SIOP Coaching
- One video, SIOP in Action DVD
- Trainer’s handout packet and handout of the PowerPoint
This Institute will be held at:
Courtyard Bethesda Chevy Chase
Mayfair Ballroom 1
5520 Wisconsin Ave.
Chevy Chase, Maryland, 20815
Certificate of Completion
Participants will receive a Digital Badge for attendance and engagement in professional development offerings facilitated by the PK-12 Language and Literacy Unit at CAL. A badge will be issued through the Credly platform as a digital representation of an experience, learning, or validation gained by the end of an institute or workshop.
CAL-Credly badges can be shared and verified online in a way that is easy and secure and linked to metadata that provides context and verification. They can be shared across the Internet for maximum visibility and recognition.
To reserve your seat for this institute, please first complete the online registration process here: Registration Link.
Please note that your seat at the workshop will only be confirmed once payment is received. If you are registering multiple participants, please have the name, title, school, and email addresses available before you begin the registration process. We encourage you to register as soon as possible, as many workshops fill up quickly.
Note: Registration does not book lodging; please book your lodging via the special group rate here: Book your group rate for CAL SIOP Training
Before beginning the registration process, please determine your preferred method of payment (credit card, check, or purchase order).
CAL accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA.
For registrations to be paid by purchase order or check, please note that your seat will be tentatively reserved until payment is received. Once the payment is received, you will receive a confirmation email. There will be a fee of $15.00 for each check returned as uncollectible.
Purchase orders should be uploaded directly to the registration system or emailed to email@example.com.
For payment by check or to pay for purchase orders, please make the check payable to the Center for Applied Linguistics and mail it to:
Center for Applied Linguistics
Attn: Accounts Receivable
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, DC 20016
Registrants: We encourage participants to let CAL know as soon as possible if they do not plan to attend the session. Participants may cancel their registration and receive a full refund up to three (3) weeks prior to the institute start date by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. After that date, no refunds will be available. However, registrants may choose to receive the institute materials by mail, postpone their attendance to a future CAL Institute, or transfer the registration to another individual up to three (3) days prior to the course start date. Contact us to discuss your options.
CAL: CAL reserves the right to cancel an event due to low enrollment or for reasons beyond our control. If we exercise this right, we will refund any registration fees which you have paid in advance. In some instances, registrants may have the option to transfer their registration to another event.
Fair Use of Materials
Individuals who have completed CAL training and workshops have permission from CAL to use materials while providing professional development to educators in their schools or school districts. These materials cannot be used to deliver fee-based services. Email CAL if you have questions about the use of CAL materials.