Please join CAL for this engaging and interactive two-day workshop providing practical resources for building a welcoming environment, both socially and instructionally, for all students.
It is critical to address the unique cultural, social, and academic needs of newcomer youth entering U.S. schools to help them succeed in the classroom and beyond. Building on CAL’s decades of experience working with newcomers in educational and community settings, this institute focuses on two key components for optimizing success for newcomer students in the classroom: Cultural Perspectives, Influences, and Key Resources and Adapting Content Instruction for Newcomer Students.
Participants will receive proven strategies and practical resources they can use right away to create a welcoming environment for newcomer students and facilitate their learning. Designed for PreK-12 teachers, administrators, and other practitioners who work in educational settings with newcomer students and their families, such as social workers, counselors, and after-school specialists, CAL encourages teams of colleagues to attend.
Participants will learn how to:
- Recognize the diversity of newcomers in the schools, including special populations such as unaccompanied youth, students with limited and interrupted formal education, and students who have experienced displacement and migration
- Identify their own cultural perspectives, assumptions, and biases, and how these interact with others
- Interact in culturally-relevant ways with immigrant and non-immigrant educators, students, and families
- Use effective approaches and instructional strategies with newcomers in the content classroom
- Access and create ready-to-use resources for classroom instruction
Presenters include CAL experts in immigrant and refugee integration and PreK-12 EL education, building on CAL’s decades of experience in working with language learners, immigrants, and refugees.
CAL can work with you to customize a workshop or series of workshops to best meet your needs. Email CAL with any questions you may have about our offerings.